Published in 2021 by Forton Music, and arranged from earlier material, There are four versions of the Three Ballads:
- Trombone and Piano (FM1004)
- Bassoon and Piano (FM1005)
- Euphonium and Piano (FM1006)
- Trumpet and Piano (FM1007)
Lyrical, elegiac and nostalgic in style, the pieces in each album are not intended to be performed as a suite. They are individual duos (each with an identical piano accompaniment), ideal for concert use and for free-style examination pieces.
The first two ballads are reworked from discarded material in an early opera – Yellow Earth Ridge – produced in 1976 and later withdrawn. Never waste a good melody! The third one is an elaborate reworking of a song from … too bitter sweet (2017).
The three ballads are:
- Beneath a red sun (c. 4’ 40’’)
- Rains in the Third Month (c.4’)
- (Echo) … in the silence of the night (c.3’ 45’’)